World class triathlon but not the world comes to Lusail City
Lusail City hosted by Qatari Diar was to play host to the elite of triathlon’s Asian Cup today but despite that being the latest event to fall to the Corona virus, the massive growth in popularity of this sport ensured huge local interest filling all slots within days of entries opening and organiser, Qatar Triathlon Federation, put on a show worthy of the absent pros.
Qatar National Team member Ebrahim Alromaihi (Q-TRI) was first out of the marina’s waters after completing 750 meters swim in 12:53. He carried most of that 15 second advantage out onto the 20Km bike course but was quickly overhauled by Ireland’s Bernard McCullagh who went on to seal the victory with a blistering 16:32 5km run. His pace was only bettered by Aspire Academy’s Endurance Coach Steve Macklin (TriClub Doha) and the Irish pair were the only athletes to go under the hour for the three disciplines.
Julie Melville (Rasen Adventure Shop), a familiar name on Qatar’s bike racing scene, makes a return to triathlon this season and reversed the result of the first race of the National Triathlon Series to claim the fastest woman title on this occasion. Julie sacrificed her swim advantage to Andrea Stadler (Triclub Doha) with a slow transition to the bike but a predictably strong leg here put her back in a good lead; too much for second placed Toni Snoxell (TriClub Doha) to catch despite being the only woman to run under 20 minutes with a 19:09 5Km.
Competition in the relay competition becomes ever more intense; the top ten teams recruiting members capable of topping the leader board for each of the swim, bike and run disciplines. Teams containing national cycling team members battled for the top spot but it was Rasen Adventure shop (Stuart Bloor/Marwan Aljalham / Rachid Boudalla), finishing first, in a time which put them five minutes clear of the individual winner.
Qatar National Triathlon Series is sponsored by Qatar Olympic Committee (Sport for Life), Sports Corner, Rasen Adventure Shop, Rayyan Natural Water, Al Dar Marine, Yalla Toys.
1. Patricio Guierrez (Team Doha Cycling) 1:04:23
1. Bernard McCullagh 58:33
2. Erik Solberg (TriClub Doha) 1:02:19
3. Ebrahim Alromaihi (QTRI) 1:03:22
1. Steve Macklin (TriClub Doha) 59:48
2. Barry Shillabeer (TriClub Doha) 1:03:44
3. Simon Mortimer 1:04:12
1. Ailsa Cameron (TriClub Doha) 1:16:39
2. Anvitha Erini (TriClub Doha) 1:27:06
3. Rasha Kalandan (TriClub Doha) 1:36:19
1. Toni Snoxell (TriClub Doha) 1:07:03
2. Carla Pregigueiro (TriClub Doha) 1:07:33
3. Adeline Cormary (TriClub Doha) 1:11:42
1. Julie Melville (Rasen Adventure Shop) 1:06:42
2. Andrea Stadler (TriClub Doha) 1:08:08
3. Daniela Sposi (TriClub Doha) 1:11:13
1. Rasen Adventure Shop 53:50
2. QTRI 1 54:25 (best all Qatari team)
3. Ghariya Triathlon Club 56:32
Qatari Men 18-39
1. Ebrahim Alromaihi (QTRI) 1:03:22
2. Saad Almejali (QTRI) 1:03:26
3. Mohammed Ajlan Alkuwari (GTC) 1:05:03
Qatari Men 40+
1. Abdulaziz Almohannadi (Lusail Team) 1:15:31
2. Soliman Aladawi (QTRI) 1:17:30
3. Abdulhadi Alshawi 1:19:32
1. Noor Aljaber (Titanium) 1:33:27
RESULTS > Complete results of the Lusail Triathlon 2020 can be found on https://www.qtriseries.com/event/lusail-triathlon-2020/results/
PHOTOS > https://www.facebook.com/QatarTriathlonFederation/photos
NEXT EVENT > January 2021 (TBA)